1924 Browning Type??

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No, I didn’t take it apart. And it won’t engage unless you push the button. But it doesn’t take much force. I’ll take it apart tomorrow.

And like an idiot I just went over to the MGW exploded view. They don’t have a pre-1951 view…
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Don’t feel bad, I started to type safety ball before I realized wrong trigger. Mine takes some force to move. I wouldn’t say hard to move, but not real easy either.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Mine seems perfectly normal. Until it comes on by itself.

And oh, there was one other place where I was liberal with the grease: the locking block rail. I may have overdone it because after firing a few boxes the bolt was smeared. I’ll wipe the excess off today. I’ve got to take it apart anyway.
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I took the trigger plate apart. The safety catch does have a small spring in it, but I don’t think that’s the problem. The catch itself seems to be worn at the edge, allowing the safety to come back during recoil. I put the plate in a vise and used a punch to tighten the fit. If that doesn’t work I’ve a spare trigger plate assembly off a 16, but I’m guessing the catch is the same.
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Good deal. Hopefully it will work.
    Last edited: May 5, 2022
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Is there a ball and detent or just a spring?
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It’s just a sliding safety with a spring loaded latch.

These old safeties worked by sliding under a shelf on the front of the trigger. The new ones block it from the rear.
    win7stw likes this.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Perfect my 1930 straight stock needs some work done to the safety as well
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Did you drift that tiny pin out of the safety itself?
  10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

No, there was no need. The spring had plenty of power. But I have in the past. I probably used a drill bit for a punch.
    [​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

A friend of mine dropped by yesterday. He refinishes stocks “for fun”, so I allowed him to take mine home with him.

While he was here, we took another look at the safety. He saw the same wear on the latch that I did. He also noticed that the whole safety is slightly loose in the trigger plate. We compared it to some of my others, and he’s right. Probably they overdid it a little when they polished the parts before re-bluing. He had all sorts of suggestions how I could get our jeweler friend to weld it up. But I found that MGW still has these parts brand new. Who’d a thunk?

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/b1111384

Last edited: May 10, 2022
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Can’t wait to see that wood fixed up
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Me too! It looks like a spectacular walnut.
  14. Biz

Biz 20g

Is there something wrong with my IPad or I see your safety parts golden color? What can of finish are you expecting on your stock, oil or varnish?
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I just about bought another one yesterday just for the wood I ended up with two new ones this week already.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/931640082
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Wow, you sure can find them!
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Jimmy and I talked about the one in the link. I passed on it but should have bought it. I sent payment for the Grade II that Jimmy sold me and I traded into what I think is a 1961 Sweet that’s missing the trigger guard l, barrel, and follower. Just so happens that I have all of those parts
  18. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

We are all waiting to see the wood refinished on that gun!
  19. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I didn’t buy it. I wish I would have though. Have to save my money for a nice case now
  20. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Oh I know, I’m waiting to see Rudolph’s special order guns wood. If he don’t have a proper barrel for that thing I may have to get him one for Christmas! Very special gun.
    Rudolph31 likes this.