1924 Browning Type??

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Not one that I’m confident with, Biz. The pattern of the engraving is different, but the amount of engraving is consistent with Type III.

Of course, it could be a custom gun, or (ugh!) aftermarket engraving.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

If that can help here are some pics of my type 1
    E60D7086-C8EF-4638-B2FC-11FAE59342B6.jpeg 518E8613-9543-42C8-9CB1-564C696826C3.jpeg 4FB483D1-33A4-4C2D-8EFF-6BF70D0CA440.jpeg 5BB515A6-9995-4B73-BAC0-EE01F43B60F6.jpeg
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Damn why didn’t I buy that thing?
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I did ask if you were going to bid…
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Your Type I looks like my Type I, Biz. What year is it?
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hey sir, when did the grade one get dropped or changed to grade II or how did that actually go. Does the book show the grades after Mr. Funken took over.
  8. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Grade 1 changed from no engraving to a simplified version of the Grade 2 engraving in 1938. At that time Browning no longer offered the Grade 2.

It’s easy to get confused between FN’s Types and Browning’s Grades. FN offered 6 types of engraving, and Browning offered 4 grades of the gun, but with just 3 styles of engraving. For that reason I’ve limited myself to talking only in terms of “Type”, even referring to my Grade 2 as a Type I.

At first glance I thought the book showed pre and post Funken. But the pictures are dated 1909 and 1922.
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ok so what do I call this?

Attached Files:

10. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It looks like a Type I / Browning Grade 2 to me.
  11. Ranger6

Ok that’s what I thought. Thank you sir.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Shoots great!

[​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Fantastic
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. Ranger6

Hell yea
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thanks guys. I got there early to try it out. That’s a hit in the video, believe it or not. I'd smoked the High House, but couldn’t repeat it for the camera. But hey, they’re all smoked on paper.

The short barrel with the Poly Choke suits me just fine. Although I lost at Skeet by missing Low 7 twice
    in a row. I swung right through it and shot over top.

I did win at Crazy with a 23. And my partner and I won at Bits and Pieces with a 7.

I LIKE THIS GUN!
  16. Ranger6

You were thinking too much on low 7. Congrats. Glad you are happy with it
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Glad to hear you like it. What did you have to do to it mechanically?
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I think the short barrel got the better of me there. No one has ever accused me of thinking too much!
    Ranger6 likes this.
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I just cleaned it up. Some parts needed brake cleaner. Then everything got sprayed with aviation lubricant and blown with compressed air. A drop of CLP here and there, like the hammer pin and roller, and a little grease on the bolt rails and the sides of the carrier.

The springs were shot. But I had some old ones that were better. The gun went from something that I could barely hand-cycle to smooth as butter. I really couldn’t believe it.

There was one issue; when my friend shot it the safety would engage between shots. I watched and his finger never came near it. It worked fine for me, until later, when it did it twice. I’ll have to look into that. Anybody have any ideas?

Another friend offered to refinish the stock for me. So it was a lucky night.
  20. Ranger6

Did you have the safety out of the trigger housing? I can’t remember if there is a spring in there, under the piece in the picture. If you can’t find anything I can take this one apart and send you some pictures if necessary. How does the safety feel by hand? Mine will not slide back unless you push the button.

Attached Files: