1910-1912 16 gauge

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Apr 24, 2022.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have posted this gun before. Since I found another nicer straight stock I am refinishing the wood on this one. I always thought this one was too short since it has the thick horn butt plate on it that it was shortened. When I compared it to my new one they are the same length. LOP is just a tickle short of 14-1/4”. Needless to say I am pretty excited. I have a nice forearm that matches fairly close color wise to the original stock.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Almost done sanding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Decided to try Arts Walnut colored filler this time. First coat
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

That’s going to super nice.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Totally like that. I may have to give that a try
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After the first coat of oil
    Rudolph31 and Jta5er like this.
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Worked over the two piece horn butt plate last night and today. I glued it together with black epoxy to make it one piece and to fill the voids. It was a little proud so I fit it better and sanded and polished until I was blue in the face. Didn’t realize horn was that hard to work with

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I think it looks really good. The things we do to make something happen. Where there is a will there is a way.
    win7stw likes this.
  7. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

That looks better than most I paid to have refinished! Like 98% of what I have paid for.Dang
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    win7stw likes this.
  8. Ranger6

That’s the labor of love.
    win7stw likes this.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Or the fact that I don’t have a life
    Ranger6 likes this.
  10. Ranger6

Right there with you buddy.
    win7stw likes this.
  11. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I could use a butt plate just like that for the prototype gun, its 13 3/4” lop original. I guess I will just wait and get a stock made from my 25 year old claro blank I have been sitting on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    what do you think of this blank Justin? I don’t know much about wood?
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I think that’s a damn nice stick of firewood. It’s not going to look factory but it will be damn nice.

Wet that piece down and take another picture
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Ranger and I have been texting today about the way the Caesar Guerini guns have wooden pads that look really good. I am toying with the idea of trying one and checkering it. I think I’d do ebony for the contrast
  14. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I believe the contrast you mentioned would look best. That blank was 250.00 25 years ago I bought to restock my superposed but never used it. I just assumed it was pretty nice cuz back then a great piece was called a 400 dollar shtick?
    [​IMG]
    win7stw likes this.
  15. Ranger6

I kinda like the way they look. Here is one I found. 4F774C5F-1078-4C28-A897-9B854BA5B355.png 4F774C5F-1078-4C28-A897-9B854BA5B355.png
  16. Ranger6

Not sure I like the screw holes. The CG was glued on.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You better do it Jimmy that will look great when it’s done.

damn those beretta plates are nice. Thinking walnut, rosewood, and ebony would all look good. I agree about the screw holes
  18. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Would look best dang near 100% checkered. Just me though.
  19. Ranger6

Ok you guys are bad for me. I don’t need more projects. I really do not need to start chasing checkering. Damn you guys
    win7stw likes this.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06