Auto 5 Cases

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Auzzie, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

After bit of interest in Jta5er's pre war case in particular thought would post in hope that this gets bit of a thread started and get to learning bit more about all the different cases . The S&V book shows lots of cases for the A5 years. I have seen none for real.
    Nothing really made its way to this hemisphere because of distance and lack of market opportunity pre war. and well to the 5o's . The Browning dealer of the time used to get these local versions made up to satisfy those few who could afford . Vermin, Bugs and Climate have taken their toll over the years.
    These are extremely rare here now and was very lucky to find one in this reasonable condition that had survived in a house roof cavity.
    Never seen a Tolex apart from Rudolphs posts and only ever seen the odd superposed in an Airways
    Interested to hear and learn more.

Attached Files:

BSOwens and win7stw like this.
  2. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Very nice! Hope guys will post more?
  3. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Not as flash as the factory cases that’s for sure but good period alternative , has some neat solid brass corners and the external wrap around leather straps and buckles give it some real aged character.
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Very nice! But I don’t own any cases. Jta5er is your man for those.
  5. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Hope Anatidea comes around, he is the case guy I received the browning pre war case information from. Good dude!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I don't have one yet, but I know where there is a fine Tolex case that I might have to snag.
  7. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Hey Rudolph I vaguely thought remembered thinking you had a nice tolex in the background of one of your images you posted once.
    Must of been mistaken. Regardless you have nice guns that deserve one. Art is only up the road!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Win 7 your definitely in the market for a period case. You need one to show with all the nice guns and wood work.
    Trouble for me is my case looks better than the gun!
  9. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Here are a couple more images I found

Attached Files:

BSOwens likes this.
  10. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Very impressive case, if that popped up for sale over here on flea bay it would probably sell for 400-500 us maybe more,used. Actually wish I had one of those to use on regular basis.
  11. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

That one is really nice. I like it.
  12. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Okay here is what I have gathered on the browning a5 cases: SV book had a couple of descriptions(and other information) of the early cases for example the first year of a browning a5 specific case was 1929 and the description said it had only 2 clasps and the blue velvet liner(only used for 2 years). Well I found a couple that fit that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This second one I found first and abandoned idea to have it restored when I found the other above.
    Later in 1930 browning looks to have changed it a bit, used a middle clasp and according to SV book added a B case with other outer (not real leather) and inner materials( dark cloth not blue velvet).
    [​IMG]
    The SV book mentioned the cases could be special ordered for 2 barrels and or fitting for more drop at stock.
    Evidently early A cases all had leather on outside.
    Ranger6 and win7stw like this.
  13. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Notice the extra middle clasp and grey( dark material) interior above. Also looks like handle was changed after 1930, and I have now seen different color liners ( maybe dark cloth was intentional to allow other colors?).
    Here is a later case with different (newer style handle) and brown interior
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So what are you going to do with the case you were going to have restored?………..asking for a friend
  15. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I sold it to Anatidea. I am hoping he will chime in. He has some browning factory pamphlets on prewar cases.
    He is more into superpose but had the most prewar case information I could find.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thank goodness it’s gone
  17. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I was quoted 1600.00 ish to restore it and would use a different handle. So when I found that 1929 case I was not going to let it go. OT , I did take inventory of my 16ga barrels I have 3 with the 1929 h mark. I have a cylinder, ic and modified that fit my prewar 16s. If I was ever going to have a case made it would be one that holds 2 16s and 4 barrels that would be the ticket! Very similar to the one in SV book, think it was Mr Harmons (CEO Browning).
    Last edited: May 7, 2022
  18. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

[​IMG]
    here is my tolex
  19. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That is awesome information and images you have posted. Am sure this will benefit lot of people . I for one have learned a lot already. Your tolex is also in beautiful condition. How fortunate were you to have found two and have your pick of those 29 year cases There for sure would not be many of them out there that have survived 90 plus years.
  20. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Win 7 with your patience, wood skills and a few measurements I am positive you could replicate one of those first year cases and get it leather covered by somebody.