Rare 16ga from web is it factory

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Jta5er, Apr 16, 2022.

1. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I had seen this one years ago on the web and found pics again. Is this thing factory it had a serial number like 510x? Wild!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    KyBoB likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Either way it’s pretty neat. Someone had some serious skills. Sure would look good in my hands on the skeet field.
    KyBoB likes this.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I wish there was a way to find the owner of this. I’d like to see what other fine guns they have
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

So that’s a 1909 gun? S/V says that by 1909 FN had standardized 6 Types. This one may have been engraved before the standardization.

We need Biz. Or, if we could get him, Gibier.
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

I always wonder what it means "factory made" when it is a question of an engraved Browning auto-5? Does it has to be made by the FN engraver or made by the FN engraver and described in their catalog. If I was collecting auto-5 as an investment, I will stick to the catalogue. What do you think?
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Factory or not if I had the money and that gun was available to purchase I would buy it in a heartbeat.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

My thought is that if, before FN had their own in-house engravers, that if the gun was sent out by FN for engraving, that’s “factory”. In other words, in whatever condition it left the factory in.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

I agree with you, but I will push it further by saying that on the course of is almost 100 years of production if the engraving was made in house or subcontracted and made following the FN specifications, it will be considered factory made.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

I find that Browning absolutely fascinating. It is in the same art nouveau spirit as the grade 4. Let’s speculate here, I just wonder if it could have been a grade 4 prototype. To bad you don’t have more pics and information about it.
  10. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

LeadHigh Grade Gold Inlayed Browning A5 Semi-Auto
    Description
    Excellent Pre-WWII High Grade Gold Inlayed Belgium Browning A5 Semi-Automatic Shotgun. Solid rib barrel with a bead front sight. Barrel marked "SPECIAL STEEL-16 GAUGE-SHELLS 2 3/4". Gold wire and floral inlays on the action, barrel and trigger guard and reciver. Fox & Ducks on left of receiver and rabbits on right. Left side of this action is marked "FABRIQUE NATIONALE D'ARMES DE GUERRE HERSTAL BELGIQUE." With front trigger guard safety. Fancy English walnut pistol grip stock, fine line checkering, solid black buttplate. Made in Belgium. 1926 CONDITION: Astounding show piece. Graded 98% or better. Manufacturer: Browning Finish: Blue Type: Semi Automatic Shotgun Stock: Walnut Model: A5 / A-5 Extras: Gold Inlay Gauge: 16ga. Serial #: 5104 Barrel Length: 28”
  11. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

12. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Probably says 1926 because of letter on barrel. I just proved with this last grade 2 that the date code on barrel reflects when gun was sold not when it was made. The grade 2 has 1925 serial number was pattern tested feb 1926 and the barrel was marked with an h and sold in a 1929 case with 1929 hanging tags. My other 1925 grade 2 came with a barrel marked f probably sold that year?
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  13. Biz

Biz 20g

The curvature of the trigger and the serial indicates a pre first war but the hollow rib a 1923 or later. Probably made just before the first war but completed end engraved after. That is one of the nicest I have ever seen. That gun was probably ordered by a rich merchant. Do you know I much it it sold for?
  14. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I think it was 3500.00 without the premium. I would have went higher . One should always have a large card handy just in case.
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

At 5k it would have been a deal.
  16. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Has anyone ever figured out how (or when) they put the date code on the barrel and blued the thing?
    Did they pull them from a warehouse finish and then send the guns out to sales market? Weird that they patterned a barrel that already had a serial number then added a date code to barrel or am I missing something?
  17. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Very interesting. I have one that is dated about three years before it was sold. I will have to check the barrel code now.
  18. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

I knew about guns not leaving warehouse from SV book, but never thought they would finish a gun after it was serial numbered and patterned. It sure looks like they did. It looks like they added the barrel code and blued it just before they sent it out? Also I have 2 1925 guns now that were serial numbered between 6/25-6/26 book says only 10 made, something else must have happened I’m not that lucky? Anybody else have or seen a 1925 16?
  19. Ranger6

Ok pulled out my 1929 12 gauge barrel. Which one of these little fu***** is the barrel code?

Attached Files:

20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06