Auto-5 Spits Live Shells When Fired

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Rudolph31, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Wow. And I initially brought it there thinking they could do it while I waited. Turns out it’s not as simple as I thought.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m not have it much luck with this particular Auto-5. After waiting almost 6 months for the Poly Choke replacement, it jammed the other night. Some metal was sticking up in the ejection port. I assumed the carrier latch had somehow gotten damaged. When I got home I saw that part of the receiver was actually shaved off.
    [​IMG]
  3. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I emailed Art’s last night, this morning I saw that he’d answered me 20 minutes later. He’s seen it before and it’s fixable.[​IMG]
  4. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

Far out that is ugly unwanted damage. What did he reckon was the cause of that?
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

He didn’t say, just that he’s seen it before. I’m guessing the bolt did it somehow.
  6. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

I feel your pain . Couldn’t imagine this being an easy fix either. Looking at images first glance would suspect some tig work, milling for a start and re bluing could even be involved depending how much heat and metal has to go back to build up.
    I for one will be interested in following how this all unravels and you eventually get on. It will make a good post matter.
    Anyway you certainly have the right guy on the case that’s for sure. If anybody’s knows it’s him and the fact he is close by helps too.
    Good luck and hope you get it all going again. Your fortunate you have a few other nice pieces to use in the meantime.
    Look after that nice DA of yours.
  7. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Here’s the response I got from Art’s:

”I've seen this before. The metal is thin where the groves are cut in the reciever. It can be smoothed up and won't affect the function of the gun.”

I hope the fix is as easy as they say.

And yes, I have other guns. I hit “four from the chair” the other day with my Light Twenty. Something I didn’t think possible with that little gun.
  8. Auzzie

Auzzie 20g

That sounds encouraging. Obviously there is enough meat there still to remove and tidy up without it effecting functionalility. Very good. As said only somebody with that level of experience and previous knowledge would know what they can and can’t get away with successfully.
    That sounds much more positive to what I was envisaging would have to happen and hell of a lot less involved.
    Keep us posted
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

This thread, which originally was my explanation of why Auto-5’s spit shells, has drifted into a history of one particular Auto-5’s problems. And it’s had quite a few:

Carrier Latch
    Forearm
    Hammer
    Poly Choke I
    Poly Choke II
    Receiver

Of all the parts of an Auto-5, the forged and milled receiver is the one piece I never thought would fail. I wonder what’s next? I hope nothing.
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Personally, I like it when there are different directions in a thread, sure you would rather not have any of those issues, but I usually take with a grain of salt, fix and move on. It's worth the time, money and effort for sure. Perhaps it had a well used life before you got it, or maybe you got it cause the auto 5 god knew it would be fixed and returned to service in your hands. Either way, sounds like Art can work his magic and have you back in the saddle again.
    That light 20 will serve you well, I have an invector + barrel on mine and she is deadly at what ever I throw its way. Sure is a pleasure to shoot with it being so light.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I do like a light and handy gun. My 16 and 20 gauge Auto-5’s are like an M1 Carbine in my hands. But some jobs call for an M1 Garand. And shooting from the chair at 40 yards is a situation where a Garand-sized shotgun is an advantage. Especially with a tighter choke. But I got lucky on Wednesday.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

The Light Twelve is back in business. Nick fixed it in about 15 minutes. I’m so glad they’re just an hour away.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good deal. I wish I was that close to Arts
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

15. Jta5er

Jta5er .270 WIN

Thanks for posting this. I had 2 guns doing this so I asked cole to bend one after which I went home and bent the other myself. Tested both today, no more spitting out the bottom which was irritating to say the least. Most appreciated!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Glad I could help!
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Last night I finally got around to bending the carrier latch on my pre-Model 11 Remington. It’s been years since took it to the range, primarily because of its full choke. I’m going to use it tonight, we’ll see how it goes.
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2023
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

It worked perfectly.
    Auzzie, KyBoB and win7stw like this.