Now what?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jan 5, 2021.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well hunting season closed here on Sunday. The range is closed until spring. Tired of doing stocks. So I need something to do.

One thing I need to do is clean all the guns I shot this fall. How often do you guys completely strip down your Auto 5’s. I’m thinking wipe down the mag tubes, clean the barrels. Insert guns in safe and call it good.

One other thing on the list is load more roll crimped shells for next season. Damn hulls are hard to find in the cattails.

I also need to change the bottom firing pin in my 425 Citori. It is very pitted. I’ve never dabbled with that so I’m a little nervous to see how nasty the inside of that action is.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Justin
    I do about the same as you. Barrels get cleaned every outing, wipe off and put back. My semi’s get that and piston and mag tube gets cleaned. Lubed with clp and back in the safe. My o/u get the same and about every 2-3 outings I put grease on the contact surfaces to prevent any marring. I usually break them completely down about every year or so and completely clean. I have probably 50,000 rounds down the tubes of 525 and no issues with firing pins.
    What kind of primers you using? I have read that the firing pins on citori’s don’t like some primers.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

In the 425 I’ve only used Remington and Winchester primers.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Wow never would have thought that. Same as I use most of the time. There is a thread on 16 gauge forums about citori firing pins and if I remember right some issues with the lower firing pin and some aftermarket ones.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

That’s about all I do. When I get a new (to me) Auto-5, unless it’s pristine I’ll take it completely apart. Then never again unless something breaks. I store the guns barrel down in the safe to prevent oil running into the stock. Guns in the display case get grease instead of oil.
  6. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

I am on the exact same course as Rupolph31. Every single Auto5 that I have gets/got a complete teardown, inspection and cleaning. Muzzle down in the safes. I keep a pair of those cloth gloves inside the safe, so every time I handle one, I don't get my fingerprints/etc. on any of them. I live in a pretty dry climate-relatively speaking. (Treasure Valley/Boise area) Humidity is not a problem. So, that being said, generally speaking rust is not a main concern-but not completely unheard of.

One thing I have noticed with Auto5s--Over the decades of me bringing them home and giving them a detailed cleaning, I discovered upon my final wipe down after disassembly/cleaning/re-assembly, in regards to the bluing, a quick once over with a lightly oiled rag will give the bluing a nice shine. However- a labored rubbing of the bluing quickly produces a rusty brown coloring on the rag (usually old T-shirts)!! That got me to thinking. I now am of the opinion that there is usually a "coating" or "layer" of decades of virtually invisible rust on older Auto5s. Be it the old "rust-bluing" method, or even the hot-blue method they switched to, either way, a quick rub down/once over won't remove it. You have to literally get serious with effort and a little oil to see the results. I have gotten serious with a couple of mine that seemed to be relatively bad (yet looked pretty good upon initial inspection!!) and monitored their condition over the years I have had them and none of those have gotten any worse, or left any more brown discoloration on a clean rag.

Try it and see if you get any brown coloring on a white rag.
  7. Ranger6

Bill
    Gloves? gloves? what is this? You must have to many, mine don't sit long enough between uses for all that.
    win7stw likes this.
  8. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

First of all.........................There is no such thing as "too many".

Secondly, I only shoot a few of them, the rest are admittedly safe queens. And proudly so.
    Ranger6 likes this.
  9. murphranch

murphranch .410

Damnit! You made me get up, go to my office, grab my old special steel 12 and see it this was true! Glad you posted that because otherwise I would’ve waisted the entire evening watching a First 48 marathon. Should have my butt kicked because I put this gun up after shooting some greenheads and Canadians after Christmas and got busy and forgot it needed cleaned. You are correct! My cotton rags are dirty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  10. murphranch

murphranch .410

After a previous life of being a “working mans boat paddle” this is as good as it gets. Felt good to get it all cleaned up. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rudolph31 likes this.
  11. TomBitt

TomBitt .22LR

Murph, that looks like an older one with the round pistol grip. I have a 76 and dad has a 65 both Belgium "Magnum" I also have 2 model 11's with the Browning patent, one is a 1908 and the other is a 20 ga from the 40s. your still looks to ne in really good shape.
  12. murphranch

murphranch .410

It’s a 1960 model

13. TomBitt

TomBitt .22LR

Replacing the pins is pretty easy I would suggest J&P Product's. I have replaced my 425 and springs just for good measures because they came in the kit

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
  14. TomBitt

TomBitt .22LR

Here are mine, haven't shot them after cleaning and waxing [​IMG]

15. Ranger6

Shame on you. Those are stored wrong. What were gun safe/rack manufacture’s thing off?
    What’s that hammer gun?
  16. TomBitt

TomBitt .22LR

I built the gun rack, I wanted to be able to see the receivers. The hammer gun is an old American Arms SxS 12 dads old duck gun. He is 77 his first duck gun from grandpa when he was 10

17. Ranger6

Nice. Is it still a shooter. Love my hammer guns. Got one out now for some stock work.
    I was just giving you a hard time. They look nice like that.
  18. TomBitt

TomBitt .22LR

I wouldn't shoot it, it is really loose. It should be on a wall over fire place

19. Ranger6

O ok. I have early 1900 Steven’s, it still locks up tight.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have them but after I took the gun apart the bottom pin isn’t as bad as I thought. So I decided to wait