81 year old getting it done

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Oct 10, 2020.

1. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Sure wish I had learned to fly. I’m pretty sure I could get one in the air. The landing part may be a problem.
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Local flight schools are full of young people 18 to 20, and middle aged empty nesters who always wanted to learn. Looks like you’ll be in the second group.

Look into the Sportsman Pilot license, it avoids the boring stuff and will allow you to concentrate on having fun. Think taildraggers and aerobatics.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Thanks Rudolph31 for the tip. I will look into it for sure. Many moons ago I had a chance to get my license to work on them, it was pretty expensive, I passed at the time. Need to find a federal job so I can use my military service. Only would have 5 years to retirement.
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes you do!!! I short there a few years ago and I used one of their shitty wore out Citori Lightnings. I can’t shoot those guns worth a damn
  5. Ranger6

Agreed. I shoot the a5 the best. I do have a gold that I also do well with.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Left work at noon today to go chase roosters. It was snowing when I left the plant but ended up being nice. I was done in about an hour and a half. I went 3 for 3 with the ‘39. It was a great day

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    MUST NOT LOOM AT THE CAMERA
    [​IMG]
    Ranger6 and Rudolph31 like this.
  7. Ranger6

You lucky dog. Damn you, having all the fun.......
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The 39 is becoming my favorite. I tried some hand loads today but they wouldn’t cycle. I used 20.4 grains of IMR SR7624 in a Cheddite hull with one ounce of number 5’s. I might have to try an old spring and see if they cycle with it. Anyway I ended up using the 65mm Gamebore with one ounce of 6’s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  9. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks cold. I wonder if the shells are temperature sensitive. I know the guns can be.
  10. Ranger6

You could always bump up .5 grain. Around 7500 psi should cycle on light setting. SR7625 should be hotter on burn chart then universal if I remember correctly. Your pressure will be lower due to roll crimp. I think you can go to 21 grains no problem,. I’m assuming your using cheddite primer also.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

You are probably right Rudolph. I almost always use long shot powder in the winter. I use synthetic oil just like Art does and usually don’t have issues until -20. I’m wondering if it’s the new springs too
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes using cheddite primers. I think I will bump it up a little. I might actually have to chrono a load for once. Might try to find a longshot recipe
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I like new action springs. New recoil springs give me trouble when shooting target loads. I think 1 ounce in a 16 is pretty light. Aren’t most hunting load 1 1/8?
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Yes they are but squeezing that extra 1/8 ounce in a 65mm hull is a little tight. However I should be able to use any 2-3/4 load and roll crimp it I’d think
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  15. Ranger6

Yes you can. Universal works great in 16. Not real crazy about longshot, but it will work. It’s kind of dirty.
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I might be screwed finding Universal. I’ve got damn near everywhere but that
  17. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I press the over shot card down with the wad seater. Maybe the wad gets a little crushed, but I don’t think it matters. Because you’re right, a 65mm roll crimped shell has the same volume as 70mm fold crimped ammo.

Ballistic Products sells a short SG16 wad. They don’t tell you if it can be substituted for the standard wad in all recipes, however. With a shorter crush section, I would assume pressures would be higher. I guess we could make some and send them out for testing. I nominate Ranger.
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I do have some of those wads. 1-1/8 recipes are hard to find for Cheddite hulls. I have some Win CF’s, RGL, and Fio hulls but would love to burn up these Cheds
  19. Ranger6

Not that I have much faith in BP load data, but do you have their cheddite manual?
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I do but haven’t looked because they load em hot it seems