eBay stock

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jun 13, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

When an uncut stock shows up on eBay I can’t pass them. This one I was excited to see that it has the Type 2 pad and that it doesn’t have the wrap around checkering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

It is a nice one. The second generation buttplate, Art-Nouveau style, is my favorite. Do you know which caliber is the buttstock?
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The greatest caliber.....
  4. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc it’s for a 16 gauge. I like to keep a couple of stocks on hand in case I find a gun with a cut butt stock for cheap
  5. Biz

Biz 20g

Would you be biased by any chance
  6. Biz

Biz 20g

Justin, I hate to contradict you, but, the 12 gauge is the caliber. It is more versatile. Don’t you agree? :wow:
  7. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hell no.
    win7stw likes this.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc, I respectfully agree to disagree. If I hunted waterfowl I’d maybe lean towards a 12. But for upland and clays there’s nothing sweeter
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Stock update I have a little work to do before it start finishing it. There is a tiny crack by the upper tang and a little catch on the side where the stock meets the receiver. Should be easy repairs and won’t be seen. Here it is after a day in a garbage bag with citri-strip
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Here it is after steaming a lot of dents out. I‘ve been soaking it in acetone and have most of the oil out. Some staining in the checkering I need to deal with. Not much for sanding on this one. The checkering definitely needs to be recut. A lot of it is flat and the border is gone in a couple spots.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 and Ranger6 like this.
  11. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks like a lot of work.
  12. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It’s not bad, just time consuming to do it right. The staining in the checkering in really bothering me. I’ve read that purple power cleaner works well to get oil out of wood so that’s my next plan. After I get that sorted out I’ll finish. Then it’s going to Ahlmans in MN to have the checkering recut
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  13. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I hadn’t really meant to comment — I tried to hit “Like” but touched the “Reply” button instead. As far as I can tell, this site won’t let you cancel a post.

But Time Consuming = Work to me. I’m more than happy to let Art’s do it. Although I did get most of the oil out of an M1 Carbine stock a few years ago using a steam cleaner.
  14. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Well the Purple Power sucked the oil out. Time to de-whisker it and then decide on a finish
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

What is Purple Power?
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

It is a concentrated degreaser
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Applied the French Red over the weekend. I had a little seepage around the masking tape I had to address but it won’t be noticed once the checkering is recut and I finish the panels. I am liking the color of this one. I hope it doesn’t lighten up with the oil finish.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Before pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.
  19. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Justin that’s a damn fine job. Can’t wait to see it when it’s finished.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks sir. Had to post some progress pics as it’s been kind of quiet here lately