Question on a Sweet Sixteen

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Longshanx, May 7, 2020.

1. Longshanx

Longshanx .22LR

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks clean. I would expect to see it go to 12-1500. Little much in my book, however, it’s clean and someone will pay that for it. If your looking for a clean shooter that would get it done. 16 gauge invector barrels are up too 700 and invector+ to 900 and this one comes with it, so you will have to make the decision. Seems A5’s are going through the roof right now. Glad I got mine long time ago. Paid half of that. Now mine has been hunted, but that’s what it’s made for. Sitting in a case for eye candy isn’t my thing.
  3. Longshanx

Longshanx .22LR

Thanks for the reply. I've questioned the seller on the date of manufacture thinking maybe an older gun with a newer barrel. It does appear clean.
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Ask for serial number and we will be able to direct you on that. Or just ask if it came with it, he may not know. With serial number you can narrow it down. May need some barrel codes also. Sometimes it’s really hard figure it all out. For me one without chokes, or a form of choke is useless. My 69 has a different barrel for skeet with chokes and I have original barrel, but it’s in the closet and never comes out. To easy to change a choke.
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Looks like late production Japanese to me. $1600.
  6. Ranger6

Hell I might sell my Belgium sweet for that
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Sold my Jap Sweet two years ago for $900. Sometimes I make terrible decisions
    Ranger6 likes this.
  8. Ranger6

Made that mistake too. Refuse to sell one ever again, unless I’m moving up. Kinda hard to move up from a Belgium sweet 16 in my opinion.
    win7stw likes this.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

The Japanese guns are nice but are too heavy. Those Belgium guns are svelte
  10. Longshanx

Longshanx .22LR

Seller did reply stating 1989 mfg.
  11. Longshanx

Longshanx .22LR

Please remember i'm still learning about the A5 in general so take it easy on me :). What led me to think that it was an older gun was the round knob. I thought the round knob was done away with around 1967 but I guess it was brought back?
  12. Ranger6

replaced with older round knob to make it look older and better, as that’s what people like. I don’t keep up with the dates as well as some on here. Either Rudolph31 or bill are date freaks. So I’m sure they will be coming around to say for sure. If original the stock may have matching serial number. If it don’t then may have been replaced or no number was stamped on it. Who really cares though. If it goes bang when you pull the trigger and the game falls.
    win7stw likes this.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

As far as i know the Japanese made Sweet Sixteens all had the round knob stock. However the Magnum twenty stock has the square grip and that will fit on the 16’s. If it is a 1989 model I believe it has the factory stock on it. It won’t have a serial number on the wood
  14. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Yes, square knobs began in 1967. I don’t know when Miroku guns went back to round knobs (or if they ever used square knobs at all), but I have noticed that the Japanese round knobs use an alternate checkering pattern that FN used briefly in the 20’s.
  15. Biz

Biz 20g

That is a very detailed observation Rudolph, checkering is indeed similar. Here is my 1913, obviously Belgium made, beside a 1989 made by Miroku.
    61DC2C9C-15EE-4CF4-B858-CAA80B6BF631.jpeg
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  16. Ranger6

Biz- no barb wire marks, blood, and for such an old gun that checkering looks mighty good. What are those...... safe queens.
    win7stw likes this.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Marc, I am still waiting on the adoption papers
  18. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Thank you, Biz. I didn’t know that checkering pattern began that early. My 1924 uses that style. And yes, this one is a safe queen.

[​IMG]
    Ranger6 likes this.