Creative Reloading Solutions trimmer

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by win7stw, May 7, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I e known Rudy for a long time. He is sending me a 16 gauge trimmer to test out. I have some of his other products and they work great. Really nice guy to talk with. I’m sure it will work as shown on his video.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Good to know. He has been a joy to deal with over email. Looks like a damn nice unit vs the $35 shortcut shell cutter
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Yea I made on that works great. I was already committed to Byrdog trimmer, so I bought it. Haven’t seen it yet, but got shipped yesterday. Guess I will be a hull trimming fool with options.
  5. Ranger6

I just got my universal in the mail. Picking up some more on Saturday. This 2 1/2 stuff is kind of addicting.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Are you fold crimping or roll? If roll what are you using for overshot cards?

So that old powder I was asking about I can get the 12lbs, 5k Fed 209 primers not the 209A, and two 5 gallon buckets of a mix of Remington and Federal hulls for $200. Do I pull the trigger?
  7. Ranger6

If that powder is good, which I think you already said it was. And it looks like it’s PB then I would say yes. The powder alone is worth 200. Did you hear back from Hodgdon yet?
    I do fold crimps, soon as I get this load where I want it, then I’m gonna do some roll crimps. I have 16 gauge overshot cards. I have a bucket of old hulls that I just found in the back of closet, fed, Remington peters, and some old Winchester. The Winchester are like the ones that msm took pictures of over on 16 gauge forums. Can’t wait to load them.
  8. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I did talk to a Hodgdon rep that said he has worked there for 30 years and has never heard of it. He advised me to dispose of it. We all know that isn’t going to happen. He thinks it could be the commercial equivalent of PB. I personally think it stands for porous base smokeless shotgun.

The seller said he has used 5 kegs and used PB data for it. So I’ll probably get it and have the loads pressure tested. The primers are old but have been stored properly. I guess they are close to a Winchester 209.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have a roll crimper on the way. I am looking forward to trying that operation out. I need to order some wads and overshot cards
  10. Ranger6

You can make the overshot cards, just way easier to buy them from precision or BP. They are cheap. I have the gaep roll crimper but haven’t tried it yet for roll crimps. I may do some this weekend. Finally got reloading room organized again. Think I need two rooms.
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Boy do I hear you on having two rooms. Loading for 3 gauges and for multiple rifles takes up too much room. Plus I am kind of a hoarder when it comes to hulls.

I might need to get a gaep crimper. I’ll see how the freebie works first.
  12. Ranger6

I agree on the hoarder part. I have big tubs of hulls. Right now I’m just sitting on the 12 gauge. I had a friend pass away that was also a big shooter, he had 4 pallets full of unopened flats. I bought 20 flats, 40 a flat. Won’t be reloading 12 for awhile. Bought 20 bags of shot for 25 a bag. Hell of a deal , but hated to see him go. His son(not a shooter), was going to just give it all away. Had to stop him on that one. At least he backed away from it and let his dads shooting friends make the decisions.
    Think he was amazed how much cash he got from the sale, and how fast it went. Reloader's are always looking for a deal.
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Received my trimmer today and it works great. It’s a high quality unit.
  14. Ranger6

Got mine too. You making 2 1/2 inch hulls or just trimming them so there all the same? Also got the other one from Byrdog.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am going to load up some 2-1/2” shells. A member on 16ga forum sent me a roll crimper so I am going to try that operation out. I want to build some pheasant loads with some nickel plated 5-1/2 shot. I need to build a bunch of skeet loads too
  16. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’m curious about roll crimping previously fired fold crimped shells. It seems like unfired hulls would be preferable.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Some people do it successfully. I tried and failed already. I have a bunch of new primed Cheddite hulls that will be getting trimmed. Tweaked my new cutter so I don’t damage the primers
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I hope it works out for you. I like roll crimped shells, but don’t have the patience to do it myself. The Hartin crimps I’m using work great on paper hulls — if you squint a little some look roll crimped. On plastic the results are serviceable. I loaded some Remingtons yesterday that just looked like sh!t, but cycled fine. So long as I don’t let my friends examine them, I’ll continue to press the easy button.

Oh, nice work on your trimmer modification. Let me know how long it takes to trim 25 hulls with it.
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I am building a hull press at work today. Hopefully this weekend I can give the roll crimping a try. I hope I have the patience for it.

I will trim 25 tonight and get you a time. At it will be pretty fast
    Rudolph31 likes this.