Forearm spacer

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Feb 14, 2020.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

So my friend has a 3D printer. I gave him the dimensions and had him print some of these for me. Thought it would be handy for 2-3/4” forearms on 2-9/16” guns. Also should work well to set the barrel back on forearms that have been abused. I had him make them thick so I can grind/file to fit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

That is a wonderful idea. Do you know what kind of material is made of? Can it be glued?
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I’ll ask him what filament he used while we are ice fishing tomorrow. It is a pretty hard material. I think a little CA glue would hold it in place
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

Can you get a polished look finish. We could reproduce the first years auto-5 rubber buttplate. Would that not be extraordinary? I believe we can use the program Fusion 360 to achieve that. You should ask your fishing friend. BTW what can of fish?
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I just texted him and he used ABS filament. With the printer he uses he can’t get a polished look. If a guy found a hard rubber you could use a CNC router to make them.

We are going after yellow perch and walleye
  6. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You got plans to sell any of these? Wouldn’t mind giving it a run on one of my beat up forearms for my 2 9/16 chamber 16
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

If my buddy is willing to print some more I’ll send you a couple.
  8. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

That would be great. Let me know how much. This 1909 is giving me hell. Gonna call and talk to brad Monday about it. If they will still do the old rust blue I’m just gonna send it off and wait for the bill
  9. browning90va

browning90va Copper BB BANNED

Ranger,

I would be very cautious about receiving a rust blue from Arts on an Auto 5. I will not speak ill of them because they have done some nice work for me. But, IMO their A5 rust blue leaves something to be desired at this time. And I can only hope they are continuously improving their method to reproduce that Belgian rust blueing
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  10. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Copper BB

win7stw, any chance your 3d print friend would send you the 3d drawing file. Our local library has a 3d printer, I could get it printed out there (might have to tell them it a LEGO part :) )
  11. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I will see if he wants to part with it. He might put them on eBay and sell them.