First time post

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Chris Little, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Chris Little

Chris Little Copper BB

I wanted to thank you for approving my Membership. I own many A5's and all have been rescued from the butchers who take them apart and part them out. Here are 2 I just finished and I wanted to make what I call and Brother and Sister pair of Auto-5's. I understand some may not like this, but keep in mind these are not factory matched Auto-5's. The Silver is Automotive PPG paint and Clearcoat. It's hard as a rock. The stocks are both new reproductions oversized stocks and I shaped and fitted them and applied with Danish oil and PPG clearcoat. There is gold leaf on the Straight stock shotgun and the other A5 is an American Browning A5. The A5 Straight grip did not have engraving and the screws are polished to a mirror finish and clear-coated. I'm building a wall case for them to be displayed in. Like I say, hope you like them, but if you don't I hope you can appreciate the effort and vision. Bro-Sis A5-1.jpg Bro-Sis A5-2.jpg Bro-Sis A5-1.jpg Bro-Sis A5-2.jpg
    jlp likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I like the color contrast. I have to admit I would rather see them blued, but I appreciate the finished product, cause I know you have a lot of time invested. The wood looks amazing. Excellent job! Welcome to the forum.
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Nicely done
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Very nice. I like the John Browning signature, did you do that?
  5. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

Southwest Idaho says Hi!!! I too am an A5 hoarder. (I appear to be off to a good start, somewhere's around 30 or so----so far.)
    The polished look is rather unusual, and yet oddly-interesting. I have seen some spray painted, sanded down to a bare finish, etc.
    Welcome aboard. There is no shortage of knowledge regarding A5s here!!! Jump in and post anytime.
  6. Chris Little

Chris Little Copper BB

Thank you all for your comments- I'll post some other builds that are in the more traditional sense. Being a fellow Mormon to J.M. Browning I would hope he would appreciate the effort. Or he might say, "boy what the heck were you thinking... " lol.
  7. Chris Little

Chris Little Copper BB

Yes, the signature is a custom transfer. The gold color is off, but no one seems to mind. Thanks
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  8. Chris Little

Chris Little Copper BB

Thank you.
  9. Chris Little

Chris Little Copper BB

Thank you.
  10. Chris Little

Chris Little Copper BB

30 OR SO!!!
  11. Bill Idaho

Bill Idaho .270 WIN

As I have stated before----

Earlier in life I built a funny-bike (similar to a funny-car, only half as many wheels), bought a handful of machine guns, motorcycles, cars, tools, etc. Now that I am approaching my advanced years, I can honestly say "I have wasted far more money on far stupider stuff."

I am headed to a nearby gunshow Sunday, in which more than likely at least one A5 will be appropriated.
  12. Chris Little

Chris Little Copper BB

It's a God-Given right of passage to weld forks together and make a chopper bike or like my neighbor, he put a small wheel on a Schwinn Varsity 10 speed. BTW, the small wheel was a bad idea...