Auto 5 checkering

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Dec 2, 2019.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I might refinish a stock and when I am done I’d like to recut the checkering. Anybody know what degree tool I’ll need. Looks like a 60 degree but I’d like to know before I order the tool. Thanks in advance
  2. Biz

Biz 20g

I have a Dem-Bart kit, 20 lines per inche 90 degree angle. I find the 90 degrees is to obtuse. 60 degrees seems more appropriate to me. I don’t like the Dem-Bart because they get plug very rapidly. If you find something, please inform us, I would like to find a better kit. I believe that Midway sells à checkering kit?? It is always difficult to order firearms related articles from USA to Canada.
    win7stw likes this.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

You ever need anything give me a shout. I will ship to you no problem. Fellow browning guy is a friend in my book.
    win7stw likes this.
  4. Biz

Biz 20g

Likewise, thank you
  5. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

6. Biz

Biz 20g

7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I have read that it is best to use a single cutter on a refinish. So I was going to order just the 60 degree single cutter and handle

Have you had luck with multiple line cutters? I believe theirs are 90 degree
  8. Biz

Biz 20g

More or less. I lot of practice is needed in order to do a good job. As I mentioned I find the Dem-Bart not to good. I will wait for your trial evaluation of the one your father in law swears buy. The time being, I am practicing engraving.
  9. Biz

Biz 20g

I just had a second look at the website and saw that the single cutter has the angle indicated. May be it’s time I go to bed.
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Interested in the engraving. Are you recutting engraving or are practicing on scrap?
  11. Biz

Biz 20g

I am working on two types of engraving.

First, I am practicing hand engraving with a graver on metal plate. The objective being to eventually recut some worn out engraving on my Browning and others. I made my own graver from drill rod that I tempered. At the moment, the difficult part into my learning curve is the sharpening.

Second, redoing the marking assisted by computer. This is a technique I have been researching for a few years. A few months ago a member of Canadian Gunnutz show a couple pics that was laser engraved. The result is astonishing. Someone can argue that it is so good that it is a problem. The procedure to achieve this nice rendering is pretty simple. You take a picture of the marking you want to reproduce, with the help of photoshop or Gimp you remove the background to finish with only the letters. Then using,for example Aspire or others programs, you vectorize the letters. After that you need someone with a CNC laser machine to do your engraving. Here is the result.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rudolph31 and win7stw like this.
  12. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Looks very good. Hell can I send you some work that I need done?
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

That is very interesting. I think I might be able to do the computer part of that. I just happen to know a guy with an engraver. Maybe he could recut my Grade II 16 gauge. Thanks for the great information Biz
  14. Biz

Biz 20g

If I may express my opinion, the only part I would do by CNC is the marking as this was already done by a machine. One important detail I haven’t mentioned is that you have to remove the old marking before you do the new one. The hand engraved part can be recut following the original pattern with a hand engraver or a pneumatic engraver. And remember that you can see the difference between a pattern done with a graver with a chasing hammer and an air power graver.
  15. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I just bought a couple beaters that I might have to try recutting
  16. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

17. Biz

Biz 20g

Indeed 1904, the buttplate seems original (which is extremely rare), the forearm has been change and the interesting part, the front sight is not mounted on a ramp. Unfortunately the restoration is a total failure. The address is "polished out" and the blue is to bright for the period. This is a good example where I will use the laser engraving method to redo the address.
  18. Biz

Biz 20g

I can’t find time to do my own project. May be in a few years when I am retired.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019