X prefix 16 gauges

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by win7stw, Jun 17, 2019.

1. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I recently picked up a 1949 standard weight and an unmarked 1947 sweet sixteen. I will be stopping by my FFL tonight to pick them up. I will post pictures of them when I get a chance.
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  2. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Congrats. Can’t wait to see pics
  3. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

What's the best way to post pics here imgur?
  4. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

That’s how I do it. Rudolph31 seems to have better luck then me
  5. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

With my iPad or iPhone, I copy and paste the link in the picture icon. When I’m on the mainframe, I haven’t a clue.
  6. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Picked up my guns tonight. Pretty happy with both of them. The standard is in better condition.

Standard
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Sweet pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    jlp likes this.
  8. Ranger6

Very nice. Now it’s time to save up for shells. Just bought a box Friday locally and it was $11 a box. I reload the Remington black hulls but don’t have that many yet. Buy and shoot to save for reloading. Don’t know if you reload, but I have access to couple hundred loads, for about every shell or powder if your ever interested.
  9. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Side by side

I haven’t measured the springs but they are significantly different in length. The barrel extensions are different too. All the serial numbers match on the receivers, stocks, forearms, and barrels. I am confused by the difference in the barrel extension.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I reload. I sold off quite a bit of my hull stash but I kept enough for my lifetime. I have four cases of Herters and four cases of Fiocchis. I should be set for awhile.
  11. Ranger6

I do load the cheddite hulls also. It’s a little cheaper.
    Lucky you with all that 16 gauge. Never understood why the 16 got less popular. Sure wish it would make a big comeback but doubt that will happen.
  12. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Beautiful guns, congratulations.

You should know that both of your Bronze Friction Pieces are on backwards. The bevel should nestle up inside the Barrel Ring, not the Steel Friction Ring,

Good catch on the Barrel Extensions. One of the modifications FN made to make the guns cycle 2 3/4” shells was to add a moveable Ejector. The bottom barrel has an early example of one, but it was quickly changed to the style seen at the top. I have a 1948 gun with the new style Ejector but the Barrel Extension made for the original style. In the picture you can see the hole and slot the original would have ridden in.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  13. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

I will take care of the friction rings tonight. I am pretty sure that my FFL assembled both guns so that's probably why they are backwards.

Thanks for the information on the barrel extensions. I was worried that the had been modified since they are different.

I forgot to take a picture on the inside of the receivers but the lightweight gun does have the cuts lightning cuts inside.

How much does it cost to get the information letter from Browning?
  14. Ranger6

The guy you will want to talk to is Lenny. He is retired and works like 1 day a week, doing research. If you call browning they can put you in contact with his voicemail. He will call you back. I think it’s like 30-40 dollars if I remember right. I called about my 1909, but they didn’t have any info. I was told it was to old and most of the records were destroyed.
  15. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

By the way, this is how the original, 2 9/16” chambered guns looked. Note the fixed Ejector.

[​IMG]
  16. Very nice guns. Congratulations.
    win7stw likes this.
  17. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Thanks, I can't wait to get home tonight and give them an inspection and a little cleaning.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  18. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Tried to clean them up tonight. I couldn’t get the lock screws loose on either gun. Didn’t want to booger a screw or slip so I left them alone. Will probably have Art restore the sweet for me. I might leave the standard and have him tune it up.

The sweets recoil spring measures 7-3/4”
    The standards spring measures 8-5/8”

I think the sweet has been used pretty hard. The standard is in pretty good shape. I really don’t want to shoot them until they have all the springs replaced and new friction rings.
  19. Ranger6

New 16 spring should be 8.6” according to service manual. I have several new springs and there are some slight difference in length. I recently thought I had a problem with the friction piece, but in fact it was too much oil on the tube. I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot the standard. That spring is really close. Set it up for heavy loads and go to town. These A5’s are work horses. You will know if there is something wrong. If it kicks like a mule, there is a problem. Now don’t get me wrong, the action spring needs to be replaced, but it wouldn’t stop me from shooting it. Anything above 1250-1280 FPS 1oz should cycle set up on heavy loads. Remington factory at 1200 will get you a no cycle. If your gonna replace friction piece, the only place that has them right now is art. 40 a pop( bronze piece) MWG has the ring. My sweet sixteen had set for 40 years. New recoil spring and action spring, good to go. FYI new bronze piece will be very loose for awhile. If you can feel sharp edges inside, it’s good to go
  20. win7stw

win7stw .30-06

Tomorrow night I will take the standard out and shoot a couple rounds of skeet. If all goes well I might even shoot my sporting clays league round with it.