Gold filled engraving

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Tuscaloosa Aubie, Jun 9, 2019.

1. I am looking at a light 12 made in 61. It appears that at some point the engraving was gold filled. Most of it has worn away. Does anyone know of a way to remove the remaining fill without damaging the shotgun? I know I could send it to Art but I was looking for something that I could do without sending it off.

Thanks
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I just saw something about this on another website. I think they said MEK would remove it, but you’ll want to confirm that before trying it. I’d call Art’s, they’re very helpful, even when you’re not spending money.
  3. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Hand torch. Heat slowly. I’m sure what ever it is will melt before that steel does
  4. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

But what will it do to the finish? If a solvent will do...
  5. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

I have heated some stuck screws on one of mine with a torch and you can’t even tell it. Not saying make it glow. Little heat if it don’t melt then look for another method. Maybe some acetone would work. I think MEK is stronger
  6. Ranger6

It amazes me what people will do to fu.... up a beautiful shotgun. Who puts gold on something like that?
  7. Ranger6

Tuscaloosa Aubie: you ever get the gold color out of the engraving?
  8. I some acetone and a nylon brush and removed it. It took a lot of time.
  9. Ranger6

Good deal. Glad it worked