a "fix" to able Magnum gun to cycle skeet loads?

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by Dux-R-Us, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us .22LR

Of course my A-5 Magnum 12 won't cycle skeet loads. So I have ordered a standard (non-magnum) recoil spring. Hopefully this will work. I'll report later.

any of you guys ever try this?

cheers
  2. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

I’ve heard some guys use a standard Friction Piece also. Let us know how it works out.
  3. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

The standard spring did not help my A5 Magnum. Please let know if you have success.
  4. Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us .22LR

how did you install the rings? Did you try different combinations?

I will report back on my success/failure after the trials. If it doesn't work, I suppose I will have to buy a standard A-5 to go with my new spring.

cheers
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  5. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

Lightest setting on the rings. Biggest difference is the length of springs between guns. My 12 gauge 3 inch Magnum A5 uses 2 longer springs than my standard 12 gauge A5 single spring.
    I did get my A5 Magnum to ALMOST cycle using Double AA super heavy 7 1/2 shells.
  6. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

Don not stop trying on getting it to cycle! I would like to be able to shoot Magnum A 5 more! Only use I have found for this 1958 Belgium made A 5 is squirrel hunting. I am sure before steel shot laws it got it's share of Water Fowl!
  7. Joel

Joel Copper BB

Mine will eat up Rio super game #8s

It probably recoils a little more than a dedicated target load but I don't find it harsh at all. Plus I like practicing with something I would hunt with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  8. Pamlico

Pamlico .22LR

Joel
    I'll have to try some Rio super game #8s in mine.
    Joel likes this.
  9. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

My 12 mag shoots 1 oz loads
  10. Ranger6

Ranger6 Administrator Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator

Use light 12 springs and set up for light loads on friction rings. Use clp and it will shoot light loads.
  11. Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us .22LR

Yes, my Magnum 12 ga now cycles target loads. The load is 1-1/8 oz shot, 17.5 gr Red Dot, Win 209, AA hull, Claybuster wad.
    The placement of the friction rings is crucial. I put them on in this order; 2 black rings, standard recoil spring, 1 black ring, 1 bronze ring, barrel. Also, I was sure the magazine tube was lubricated.

tally ho!
    Rudolph31 likes this.
  12. Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us .22LR

see my above post in regards to the friction rings and try that.
  13. Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us .22LR

Besides ducks and geese, I use my Mag-12 for deer, hogs, turkey, coyotes, bobcat, trap shooting, and now I can use it for skeet.
  14. Ranger6

Excellent job. It should shoot 1 oz loads also. I shoot skeet with mine. Never missed a beat. Actually shoots better then new gun.
  15. Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us .22LR

the 1 oz loads were a failure. That was with 18.5 gr Red Dot. I probably could up the powder a bit and get a 1300 fsp load.
  16. Ranger6

Yep that’s what I shoot. 1300 fps
  17. Dux-R-Us

Dux-R-Us .22LR

19.0 gr of Red Dot behind 1-oz. shot now cycles the gun. I have not tested with chronograph, however the loading chart reads 1300 fps.
  18. Ranger6

1300 and above will cycle. Anything below will have hit or miss.