Recommended .223 factory ammo

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by Deker, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Deker

Deker Copper BB

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some factory ammo to put though my x-bolt?

I bought it used and the 55gr Norma 'training' cartridge struggles to group better than 3" @ 100y I'll be loading my own eventually but don't want to buy anything umtil I've found a weight/bullet it likes and I know I haven't bought someone else's duff rifle.

Thanks

Deker
  2. Stonehorse

Stonehorse .22LR

Every rifle is unique in that some brands of ammo and bullet weights will group differently. What groups well in my x-bolt rifle may group better or worst in yours. Start with buying several brands of ammo in 55 grain bullet weight and find which brand your rifle 'likes'. Given the x-bolt has a 8" barrel twist, I would start with using 55 gr bullets and go from there.
  3. Deker

Deker Copper BB

Thanks, oddly my x-bolt has a 12" twist (was told it was 8 but it wasn't:/ )
  4. Stonehorse

Stonehorse .22LR

Current Browning catalog has them listed with a 1-8 twist but your rifle with a 1-12 is not a handicap. It just means the slower twist won't reliably stabilize the longer, heavier .223 bullets. Try out some 40 gr to 50 gr factory loads. Once you get into reloading, you will have the opportunity to tune a load to your rifle.
  5. Deker

Deker Copper BB

I was at the range again on Sunday and I'm pretty certain the issue is just with the ammo, I would say 60% are in a 1.5" group with the rest spreading out to 3-4", initially I was worried that I'd bought a rifle that had been abused (or just worn out) but after double checking the ammo and seeing "training" on it I can assume that the ammo isn't the best, however it's Norma brass so now I have 60 empty cartridges I was going to order some Sierra 53gr MatchKings or Hornady 55gr FMJ-BT and do some load development.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  6. Stonehorse

Stonehorse .22LR

Sounds like you have it sorted out. Nothing wrong with Norma brass. The matchkings should be more accurate than Hornady fmj's but you never know for sure until you try.
  7. My $200 Savage .223 bolt gun shoots Hornady 55 gr vmax all day long about 1/2 groups or better at 100 yds. I would give those a try. I didn't even try to reload my 223. I went back to the store and bought 10 boxes of the vmax with the same lot number.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
  8. The current offering of the XBolt Hunter in .223 is one of the most tantalizing offers in the entire Gun world! Checking with my dealer and in the new Browning 2017 Master Catalog!
  9. sschefer

sschefer .410

When I want to shoot sub moa groups with my .223 Wylde (not x-bolt) I run the SigSauer match grade 77gr. They shoot flat, out to 100 yards. Hornady Black is my second choice at 75gr.
  10. The caliber you mention is OK for reloaders. I have never seen one in that .223 Wylde! The advantage to me of the.223 is availability. The most sold round in the USA according to,everything I see. As a former USArmy officer it is not my favorite round. However it might be a better target rifle than say a .22 Hornet. I’d have to goggle the Wylde!
  11. The caliber you mention is OK for reloaders. I have never seen one in that .223 Wylde! ! I know the round was supposedly adopted by the Canadian Military. I also know that it shoots heavy rounds.
  12. sschefer

sschefer .410

A .223 Wylde chambering is a chambering that allows both .223 and 5.56 ammo to be used. You can shoot .223 in a 5.56 but you can't shoot 5.56 in a .223 so they came up with the Wylde which shoot both with excellent accuracy.
  13. I see that. When this becomes an option in X Bolt maybe? I’d doubt though that will happen. The most traffic
    lately I hear are requests for an X Bolt with a carbon fiber weave stock like the X Bolt Pro. Also the next one I will,get is in a hunting caliber, maybe 243 through 7mm08, possib,y 6.5 Creedmore. The Dura Touch stocks though are going next year. Question is what is the replacement. Some I hope are laminates, but also carbon weave to lower the weight. The carbon weave will lower the weight by about 1/2 pound, and add maybe $240 to the pricetag. Id like to have a .223 Wylde but the AR 10 platform as a former US Army Officer is not remotely appealing to me.
  14. sschefer

sschefer .410

I hear you on the stocks, I just checked out the Boyd Platinum stocks and I've got some questions so I'll call them on Tuesday. VA has me all day on Monday. As for the AR's It took me a long time to warm back up to them. I have to admit there were a lot of bad memories that surfaced when I even thought about them but I conquered my fears and got over it. All my AR's are precision rifles that I use for punching holes in paper. I no longer look at the rifle the way I did before and since I build my own, a little bit of me is in every one. That 50 that was setup at the gun show in Reno last Saturday really upset me and I had to leave for a while. I spent 75 and 76 on a PBR and that 50 was my station. So believe me when I say, I know exactly what you're feeling.
  15. The possibility of making a real light weight Hunting Rifle, something like an X Bolt, crosses with a T Bolt might be a real splendid light effective rifle. I like the X Bolt features. But the new T Bolt has some features that would make a Colt lightweight rifle style at some far more affordable price. The .223 Wylde would be a perfect clambering. Maybe up to even 6.5? Personally I feel the T Bolt polymer trigger and lower could be hybridized to create a centerfire that would compete with any modern centerfire rifle weight wise and in terms of performance.
  16. sschefer

sschefer .410

While the .223 Wylde chambering would be a great choice, I'd like to see a .224 Valkrie. You would have a flat shooting rifle that exceedes the range of the Creedmore but with half the recoil.

I have an X-bolt Hells Canyon 300 WSM. The magnum compared to my 30-06 is more of a push rather than a kick. I'm really happy with it but I'll never give up my 30-06 or my AR style .223 Wylde match gun.
  17. The .224 Valkrie might be a good choice. Right now it is mostly a black rifle cartridge. At very long range it looks excellent. I have never shot one and as I own a very long distance range that tells me something. One of the most important questions to me as I think a hybrid lightweight hunting rifle is a good sell in today’s Mountain Hunting, older guy and gals gun, it has to be Short Action. According to Federal it has half the recoil as a 6.5 Creedmore.
  18. sschefer

sschefer .410

I almost pulled the trigger on a JP Rifles. 224 V to be built on a small frame AR but stopped short when I realized I really want it in a short action bolt gun.
  19. It is very fortuitous you waited on the .224 Valkrie. I happen to know there is a movement to build the exact Short Action Bolt Rifle we are both looking for. It will be in a long range X Bolt Short Action Rifle. So whatever Federal thinks the ideal barrel length that is what it will be. Personally I would have zero interest in an AR Style Rifle. I spent too long envying the Marine andArmy Snipers because they had bolt action Winchester’s Model 70 and Remington Model 700. This rifle though should be the X BOLT. We should all here start pushing this project and there are other participants lusting for the same development. I am talking to a Military and Civilian Arms supplier who believes this is the best platform for the rifle. However, from the get go, this will be pushed as a Hunting Rifle. So this would be a Browning suggestion, not a parent company FN suggestion. The low recoil, long distance attributes of the .224 Valkrie Lead a short pack of potential great small caliber, long distance champs!
  20. Although I have been pushing the .224 Valkyrie I have to admit, I just may buy a XBolt Pro in 6.5 standard 22 inch barrel length. It looks like a real hunting rifle and I admit, I am NOT going to be shooting a wild game at 1000 yards. But I probably will go somewhere to kill a few European Wild Boars with one. As for Elk, Whitetail Bucks, My trusty Nikon D7500 and 200-500 Nikon lens is my go to rig for them. but when it comes to wildlife hunting, give me a slightly heavier cartridge. Besides I don’t have to spend a number of years pushing Winchester and Browning. When the X Bolt gets the Hells Canyon version in the carbon stock, that is when I probably will make my move. Shot Show 2019 announcement for certain and third quarter receive the rifle at a price around $1200. Sounds like a deal to me! If I did get a Valkyrie I’d want it on X Bolt, long range, with the carbon stock. Then it would retail at about$1,500.