Scope for xbolt 308

Discussion in 'Browning X-Bolt Rifle' started by stevedore, Nov 4, 2017.

1. stevedore

stevedore Copper BB

This is a likely a very stupid question and I think I know the answer but I’m new to scopes, ... I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 22LR scope that i bought for my Ruger 10/22 but didn’t like it cuz it made the otherwise light plinker too heavy and bulky with little gain in accuracy. So I put it on my new xbolt in 308 and can’t site it in as I’ve maxxed out the ‘up’ adjustment and am still way too low. I’m pretty sure it’s just cuz it’s a scope designed for 22LR but not entirely sure so thought I’d post just to double check ... and be laughed at! Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome...

I will defer your question to the experts here...
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2017
  3. stevedore

stevedore Copper BB

Thx for the reply! I first tried sighting in from about 80 yards but didn’t even hit the target. So then I moved in to about 20 yards but then I maxxed out the ‘up’ adjustment on my scope and was still 7 inches too low. If i have to buy a new scope then I certainly will, ... I just thought I’d try this one as a beginner. I also wanted to understand technically why it will or won’t work for this rifle. I’ll be hunting deer and probably shooting between 80-150 yards.

4. I think a 22 scope has a 50 yard parallax were a big caliber scope has a 100 yard parallax, experts help out here..
    stevedore likes this.
  5. stevedore

stevedore Copper BB

I guess that would account for why at 20 yds I was still significantly under my bulls eye and unable to adjust further up.

6. Wren1911

Wren1911 .22LR

What is the scope attached to the rifle with?
  7. wafiwhacker

wafiwhacker .22LR

I️ have the same scope on a T-Bolt. Great scope.
    As others have said, although not ideal and recoil could possibly damage the scope, you should be able to sight in at 25 / 100yds.
    Did you pull the bolt and bore sight first? Was that your first indication?

8. stevedore

stevedore Copper BB

Browning x bolt integrated scope mount system.

9. stevedore

stevedore Copper BB

I didn’t bore sight, just went straight to the field and target which I couldn’t even hit at first. Played around some more today, ... the only way I could hit center from 85 yards was to aim scope’s cross hairs about 15 inches higher than bulls eye. Crazy. And as I noted before I’ve maxxed out my ‘up’ adjustments on the scope. Something’s seriously not right.

10. wafiwhacker

wafiwhacker .22LR

If you go on the Nikon Spot On Optics website , you will see that that is not far off the drop (don’t know what 22LR ammo you were using on the 10/22) at 100yds.
    I️ would suggest bore sighting with your 308 at 25 if you intend on continuing using that scope and going from there.
    However, there is ALWAYS the possibility there is something wrong with the scope.
    I️ don’t mean to be rude by quoting basics but when you bore sight and adjust the scope, down is up, up is down etc. and x 4 with click adjustments at 25.

11. stevedore

stevedore Copper BB

Looks like I figured out the problem. Rings were mounted wrong, ... front was in back, back in front. Naked eye they appear same size but front must be a hair lower than rear which obvi makes huge difference. Just bore sighted and will get out to the field soon to fine tune. Thx for the replies!

XDMBOB likes this.
  12. Good to hear,thats why I like DNZ one piece mounts.