Browning Safari 30-06 Help (Pics)

Discussion in 'Discontinued Browning Models' started by oberndorf, Jun 23, 2014.

1. oberndorf

oberndorf Copper BB

Hello, I am new to this forum and am looking for some info on an old Browning rifle I have. I have read about the salt issue on the Browning and am trying to find out which year this gun was made. I have taken the action out of the stock and there is no rust or pitting. Should I be worried?

Any other info regarding these rifle will be appreciated.

Serial number is L10233 on the barrel just ahead of the action, in the barrel channel of the stock and just the numbers behind the bolt handle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum oberndorf !!

WOW....ah, what was your question again...!?
  3. nitesite

nitesite .410

Wow. What an exquisite rifle, and that leather case sure is handsome as well!

Does the case hold a shotgun?

You should be extremely proud.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

The Browning Safari Grade Bolt Action Rifles were made from 1959 to 1974.

Browning had them made up at the FN plant in Belgium with premium FN Mauser actions and barrels.

An article regarding the process of treating stock wood with a salt curing confirms this took place from 1966 to 1971. Browning was not the only manufacturer...Winchester and Ruger also used this process.

My reference books are of no help trying to date that particular serial number...sorry !
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2014
  5. Setters4life

Setters4life .270 WIN

Beautiful rifle. Your S/N is not too far (200 or so) from mine. I looked mine up a long time ago and dated its manufacture at 1959.

These guns are built to last.

Question: What style trigger do you have? I see the three-position safety.
  6. ddennie

ddennie .22LR

WOW that is one nice gun! the furniture on that is perfect. You should be proud of it.
  7. Verde

Verde Copper BB

Oberndorf,
    You have a nice looking Safari. The early model safari's have a diamond on the underside of forearm. Your gun is pre salt. The salt years run from 1967 - 1970 plus or minus. You are right in thinking that if no rust is present under the wood line, it's non salt. It also shows up on the recoil lugs and butt plate screws. The gun, with a correct for the period size scope, will make a awesome whitetail weapon.
    Verde
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  8. Nice!

My father has a Safari model in 7MM my mother bought for him back in 1970 while we were stationed up at Elmendorf AFB, Anchorage, Alaska. It was just the thing for Moose and Caribou up there. It has been gathering dust in his gun safe now since 1974. I may just have to clean it up and take it to the range. I remember it had a hell of a kick. ;-)
  9. Verde

Verde Copper BB

Hi Ron, Yes the date codes are confusing. Your gun is a 1959 model and will have a diamond of un cut checkering on the bottom of forearm. I believe the diamond was discontinued in 1966. Can you post a picture of it?
    Verde
  10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Ronald Keyser !!
  11. Verde

Verde Copper BB

Looks nice! Nice wood.
    On the recoil pad, adding a aftermarket pad would actually hurt the value to a collector. The idea is to keep it all factory original. Art's gun shop in Missouri possibly could add a factory version. Maybe you could get by with a slip on version?
    I'm not positive, but the front hooded sight cover looks like a replacement part. The gun at the top of this thread has the usual hooded sight.

Verde
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Awesome looking for it's age...
  13. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Looking forward to the range report Ron...
  14. Cedarhill

Cedarhill .22LR

After I had my firearms stolen I layawayed a 243 and a 3006 safari grade rifles. Well I got out the 243 Sako Safari model but got my money back on the 3006 before I paid it all off. I also got a Superposed 12 ga. all with the insurance money . Now I wish I had gotten out the 3006 out also. But later I purchased a pre 64 Winchester 3006 that is very nice. My favorite is the 243.
  15. pacecars

pacecars Copper BB

Beautiful gun. Very clean
  16. larry allen

larry allen Copper BB

I just purchased a Browning Safari only my second Browning, the other is a 12 gauge lightweight 12 made in Belgium.
    I saw this gun and had to own it. It has made in Finland stamped on barrel and is .308 cal. If some one can help me date it I would appericate any help. Serial # is 2353Z5.
  17. Verde

Verde Copper BB

1965 That would make it pre salt gun era. Nice gun.
  18. larry allen

larry allen Copper BB

Thank you, it says made in Finland and the dealer told me it was made by Sako?
  19. Verde

Verde Copper BB

It has a Sako action. Browning used two different actions, Sako and Mauser. The Sako's have knurling on the bolt handle and are generally on the smaller calibers.
    Mauser on the larger actions. This is all from memory. I have several of the Finland rifles. They have some nicely figured walnut with a more subdued sheen. They look nice. I also like the diamond in the checkering under the forearm. This is only on the early guns.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  20. Verde

Verde Copper BB

I have 3913z5 , 5499y5, and 6227z6 in the Finland guns.