Sporting Clays...

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting' started by DHonovich, Nov 3, 2010.

1. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator

I was wondering what setups people use for sporting clays. I am going to be setting a mossberg up for this shortly.
  2. DHonovich

I am currently using a mossberg 930 autoloader with 28" barrel and accu-choke set (IC, MOD, FULL). So far it has been a dream to shoot with.
  3. Rossignol

Rossignol .410

You Know, I've recently been thinkin about this... I'm about to have one of my guns threaded for accu-choke. If/when I do this, I figured I'd order a set of choke tubes. (I already have an IC ported compensator) I've shot skeet with the cylider bore in the past, never had any trouble, and wasnt doin it competively, just you know, one of those fun days out when you buy a brick of cheap shells and a box of clays. So I may as well invest in some tubes when I have it done and start putting them to use for birds n stuff to.

So my set up would be a 500A 20" with a set of accu chokes. Again, I'm not doin this competively...
  4. A-bolt1212

A-bolt1212 Copper BB

I will be using my new Maxus 12ga. Stalker. I have the Invector plus chokes that came with it and a ported turkey choke. I patterned it with target loads last weekend and was very impressed with the results. I need to pick up a shell cathcher for it. Any suggestions?
  5. DHonovich

Very nice! Congratulations on your new Browning Maxus. I responded to your other thread that you posted in regards to a shell catcher. The only one I have experience with that would work on a Browning Maxus would be the Birchwood Casey Save-It.
  6. A-bolt1212

A-bolt1212 Copper BB

I shot my first round of sporting clays today with the new Maxus. Before going I installed the #3 shim to drop the comb and heel and it comes to the eye perfectly. I went 38 for 50. First time shooting the gun at moving targets and first time ever shooting sporting clays, I 'm hooked for sure. The gun performed flawlessly. I was shooting Walmart, Winchester shells and never had a problem. I used the Imp. Cyl. choke. I then went home and tore it all down to clean, Not much residue at all compared to my old Gold Hunter. No metal filings anywhere.Hardly any residue on the piston in the half closest to the reciever. I was very happy with the gun overall. I shot better than 4 out of the 6 people in the group :D and they were all shooting the umpteenth round of clays and sported expensive O/Us. I think the gun fits me very well. :D
  7. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Im glad to hear the Maxus held up well. What Style Maxus do you have? I just ordered the Browning Maxus Sporting (walnut) 28" this weekend. So excited to take it for a round of clays next weekend and i will be sure to let you know how it performed but what you say above im sure it will do just fine.
  8. A-bolt1212

A-bolt1212 Copper BB

I got the Stalker Model with the 28" barrel. Quickest handling shotgun Ive ever shot. That gun youre getting is a beauty! I saw one at Cabelas. I'm sure you won't be disapointed. I look forward to your report.
  9. Billythekid

The browning Maxus sporting was a dream to shoot, loved it. Went 44-75 for the day for the first time out this year and the first time shooting the gun. Check out the pics I posted in Maxus reviews....
  10. Billythekid

Went with the Browning Maxus Sporting today to shoot some Trap. Went 50-75. The maxus had zero issues again and went through 75 rounds like it was nothing. There was a practice session going on for a skeet tournament on the two fields next to where i was shooting and those guys were impressive. of course most of them had Browning Citori's, they would go 23-25, 24-25 like it was nothing.
  11. Billythekid

Got a chance to head out to do a round of Sporting Clays at Dover Furnace Range. It was my first time out at this course and went 26-75. Need to work on using different chokes, there were a couple of scenarios where i should have used mod and stuck with impv, which hurt my score in the end. all in all it was a great way to kill a couple of hours on a beautiful day.
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Sounds like an awesome time Billy !!
  13. ndfrc

ndfrc Copper BB

with regards to barrel lengths, l i am undecided between a 30" or 28" barrel on a sporting maxus, the 28" definitely shoulders quick and feels real quick getting on target, the 30 doesn't feel as quick but has a noticeably smooth swing on following. i am thinking that since as i am not that good catching clay's out of the gate and the majority of my shots are chasing anyways(that goes for quail/pheasants also) that the 30" is a better pick.
    I realize this is a subjective and personal choice, but are there any other differences worth noting(besides the the weight/balance and ease of handling when trudging thru the field)?
    thx keith
  14. Billythekid

At the time of my purchase, I wasn't shooting alot of sporting clays but more of skeet so I liked the 28 in better. If I had shot more sporting clays at the time I think I would have gone 30 in But I am very happy with the 28 in regardless.
  15. ndfrc

ndfrc Copper BB

Went with the 30", the 28 did feel quicker and i liked it better, but get this.. it came down to the color and grain of wood between the 28" and 30" that was available(i mean who buys a gun for looks.. nah.. no one does..lol), the 30"s finish was darker and to me looked better, figured it would be easier to just get another 28" barrel and have the best of both worlds, instead of trying to find nicer wood furniture for the 28".

Attached Files:

16. Billythekid

Great looking gun, you wont be disappointed!!! love to hear your feedback once you get some rounds through it.

BTK
  17. ndfrc

ndfrc Copper BB

Love the gun, 1st time shooting was a clay event last Sunday.. 65 of 100, I need to get it sighted/fitted, seems like i was low most of the time. I also now know why not to get an external choke that's ported, at least not a silver one, black wouldn't show the blow-by buildup like a silver one and I don't know if the ports really do anything, other than the 'cool' factor, but all that carbon buildup coming out of the ports eliminated any 'cool' factor and looked, just dirty. I think I'll get the barrel ported.
  18. Dallas_CMT

Dallas_CMT .270 WIN

Sounds like a great reason to me! I bought the same shotgun in 28" and looks was a major factor. Was almost sold on the Beretta A400 but the Maxus Sporting looks so much better. Holds 5 shells instead of 4, too.

So how are you liking your Maxus after 15 months?
  19. Rudolph31

Rudolph31 .30-06

Interesting. I heard those Muller Chokes are pretty good too. What do you think, Jimmy?
  20. snapcap

snapcap Copper BB

Screw in an IC choke and go for it!
    SHOOTER13 likes this.