New A-5 Problem

Discussion in 'Browning Auto A-5' started by yellowlab247, Feb 24, 2013.

1. yellowlab247

yellowlab247 Copper BB

Picked up the new A-5 Last October before Dove season. Great shooting gun, shoulders well and I really like it. A couple trips into the season I noticed that when I would feed two shells into the magazine, hit the inertia release button on the bottom of the gun (not the bolt release on the side) the internals would barely move and shell would not kick in. If i hit the forearm with my wrist it would kick it in.

It happens more often than not. Frustrating bc multiple times I wanted to leave 2 in and empty the chamber but couldnt get it to load back without hitting the stock.

Called browning and they hadnt heard of the problem and said it sounded like a one time thing in the field.. i explained this is not the case. They want me to send it back but I know good and well theyll test it once, it will work and ill get it back with the same issue.

Any advice? Anybody else heard of this problem?

Thanks in advance

P.S This is my 5th Browning, 3rd Shotgun so I hope this is resolved, ive been loyal and pleased.
  2. Billythekid

Billythekid Administrator Staff Member Administrator

hey welcome to the Browning Owners Community!! i havent heard of that issue before, since the issue has happened have you been able to give a good cleaning and lube all parts? Or if you have, have you noticed any unusual wear?
  3. yellowlab247

yellowlab247 Copper BB

I have cleaned it multiple times and very lightly oiled the area of friction. This did not help the issue. No unusual wear but im not sure what to compare it to.
  4. Billythekid

when you release the magazine cut-off button do feel the button fully engage? does it seem like the spring is weak at all? having to smack the forearm to get it to load back sounds very strange and to me it seems like the release button isnt dong the job.
  5. yellowlab247

yellowlab247 Copper BB

Thats exactly what it does, it feels like the button doesn't fully engage and that's probably why I only see the internals flinch and not engage

Could be a button problem.
  6. Irishduckhunter

Irishduckhunter Copper BB

I posted yesterday under the firearm troubleshooting topic, sorry I did not see your post. This is precisely the problem I am having with my new A5. The failure to correctly and flawlessly remove a shell from the magazine and cycle it to the chamber does happen. The relationship between the bolt latch and the shell stop could be the culprit. In fact, the first A5 I received in September of 2012 demonstrated such a severe problem that it turned into a one shot gun. I sent the gun back and Browning was very good about it. They reviewed and tested my first A5 and made the decision to simply send me an entirely new gun. The second A5 works better but still has a problem with the bolt latch not fully releasing a shell when its supposed to. You pull back on the small button(bolt latch) just in front of the trigger guard to release a shell and it does not always engage. When the most recent waterfowl season concluded, I sent the second gun back for fine tuning! Browning replaced two parts and modified another in the hopes of getting things right. I now have the gun back and will be putting 100 rounds through it tomorrow morning at the range. I intend on using exclusively 3" waterfowl loads, loading three shells and firing three shots each time to really put the gun to the test. I truly hope the gun peforms to my satisfaction because I like the gun.
  7. Irishduckhunter

The A5 did not pass the test at the range. 100 rounds of three inch steel waterfowl loads, #3. I used Kent, Federal, and Winchester shells to see if a different shell manufacturer made a difference. It made no difference, although of the three, Kent demonstrated the most trouble. Each time, three shells were loaded and fired in rapid succession. Unfortunately, I rarely made it to the third shell. Either the first shell would stovepipe and not fully eject or the first shell would eject but the second shell would not always move to the chamber from the magazine. This is terribly disappointing. I truly love Browning shotguns and the nostalgic part of me came out when I saw Browning re-introduce the A5. I just had to have one.

When the second A5 went back, the Browning gunsmith performed three functions. He installed a new extractor, installed a new cartridge/shellstop, and he modified the "dog" carrier(I am not sure what that is). Try as they might, the gun probably works worse than before. It sounds silly but the Browning I know and love has had three chances to get it right and has failed each time. This post is not intended to be a bitch or gripe session, it is merely a straightforward statement of facts. This can no longer be possibly diagnosed as operator error or a dirty gun. I have been shooting Browning gas and recoil operated shotguns for over 35 years so I am familiar with their workings. This second gun will go back and I will no longer shoot it and repeat my fustrations. I will wait perhaps four or five years and let the bugs get worked out because this is a deeply flawed piece of equipment. I will never find out who at Browning/Herstal engineered and designed the inner workings of this gun and that really is not the point. In the end this is my opinion: the Benelli patent expired and Browning simply copied as much of their inertia design as possible. The quality control was expedited and the gun was rushed to market to compete with the Benelli SBEII and M2. So be it.

When and how Browning responds to this issue is anybody's guess. How they respond will be an interesting and pointed reflection on the state of that company. Thank you for hearing me out, and thank you to the moderators of this forum.
  8. Billythekid

sorry to hear about the continued issue. Keep us updated on any feedback you get from Browning or find out anymore about your issue from the gunsmith. thanks for sharing.

BTK
  9. Irishduckhunter

Gun was returned to Browning early this week. They have been very good, sending a full refund check.
  10. I have just begun to have the same trouble with rounds not cycling from the magazine into the chamber when I pull the release button in front of the trigger. Sometimes it works but mostly not. Bought it from Cabela 2 months ago. Suggestions on what to do???
  11. So, after calling Browning this afternoon, I had them send me shipping instructions, etc. so that I could send the gun back, which I did. They were very nice on the phone so we'll see what happens. I'll be interested to see their take as I just got the gun in January, 2015. I hope they can fix it 'cause I really like its feel.
  12. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Welcome to the Browning Owners Forum Tazewell Eure !!

That is exactly what I would have done...keep us in the loop as to what happens !!
  13. I reported to you that I had sent my new (January 2015) A5 back for correction of recycling of ammo in the magazine. Browning received my gun on May 6. The first post on their support page was May 12 and was not updated again until May 26! I called on May 18 and talked to Jackie who assured me the gun would be repaired and ready for return on May 22. Still waiting. Browning's tracking site indicated on May 28 that my A5 had been repaired, packaged, and ready for shipment. The site indicates same message as of today, June 1! How long will they sit on my gun before mailing?? Still don't know if they solved the cycling problem, but will let all know as soon as I get it back and test it. I have 3 older Auto 5's and now this new A5. The expediency of their service department leaves much to desire, so far.
  14. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

A month turn around time is to be expected...hell, that might even be a record...chances are it will show up before they update the tracking site.

Hang in there...
  15. Got my A5 back yesterday and loaded shells into the magazine. First round entered chamber with no problem. I ejected it and the second came up as supposed to, and third, and forth! Didn't do that before sending it back. All appears good now but the test will come when I live fire it with a full magazine. AND, I got it back from Browning within 30 days!!! Faith is coming back to my new A5. Will let you know results of live firing next week. Thanks for your interest.
    SHOOTER13 likes this.
  16. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

See that...told ya !!

Congrats...now get to the range and report back that all is fine... !!
  17. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Any follow up range report....!?
  18. Went to the skeet range Saturday and fired 50 rounds (light loads #8). One did not eject and jammed with the second round coming from the magazine. Next week, will fire goose /duck loads to see what happens. I have become apprehensive. Last thing I need to see is a jammed A5 with a flock of geese above! If it jams again, I plan to send it back for a full refund. Will keep all posted.
  19. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 Guest

Thank you sir...
  20. Ben

Ben Copper BB

I also am experiencing 2 rounds out and the third will not load. I purchased this gun from cabelas a bit over a year ago as a sales rep sample that had to be sent back to browning and replace the forearm. They replaced it with a black as the gun has the camp finish. Great gun but this issue just started this weekend opening duck hunt. When I go the bun it came with a photo copy owners manual. Is there any way I could get a real one as some of the reference pics are not great and my eyes are not either. Looking to get detailed instructions to switch the safety around as I shoot left sided and the safety get pushed in while shooting second shoots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Glad I found this forum and look forward to checking it out more! Thanks for any info